Saturday, May 4, 2013

Derby Day! & Pie


It's Derby Day here in the Bluegrass State.. in My Old Kentucky Home!

Mint Juleps are being poured, drank, and poured again. I can't tell you if they are any good though- I've never had one. 

I can tell you the winner of the race! 

ORB! with jockey Joel Rosario.
5-1 making over $1.5million.

It was a little muddy.


Also, first female jockey,
Rosie Napravnik
(all photos courtesy of the Huff Post)


Along with the Derby festivities, I made a Derby Pie May Day Pie (the first one is trademarked and take affiance to anyone else using it). Thursday was pie day in the art building, so there were lots and lots of different pies. To prepare everyone for today's events, I picked this pie. 
It's super easy, super delish, and my favorite. 

Pie and handmade pie pan.
What ya need for the pie filling:
> 1 cup sugar
> 1/2 cup flour
> 2 eggs, beaten
> 1/2 cup melted butter
> 1 cup chopped walnuts
> 1 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
> 1 teaspoon vanilla
> pinch of salt

*Note! The real recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of Kentucky bourbon, but I've never added it.*
*Note! I usually use 1/2 walnuts AND 1/2 pecans.*

How to:
1. Combine flour, sugar, and salt in bowl.
2. Add eggs, butter to mix
3. Stir in nuts, chocolate chips, and vanilla (and bourbon if using).
4. Pour mix into piecrust
5. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
6. Cool before slicing.

Now for the crust. So simple and can be used for any pie really.

Pie Crust:
> 2 3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
> 1 teaspoon salt 
> 1/2 cup vegetable oil
> 1/2 cup milk

How to:
1. Mix all with fork
2. Pat into ball
3. Roll out on lighty floured surface (or between two wax paper sheets)
4. Flip into pie pan

*Note! No need to spray pie pan. Crust has oil in it so it's not needed!*

It's pretty much like a big cookie pie. It's amazing. Very simple. Try it soon and get back to me on what you thing!

Hope you enjoy!

Happy Derby Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

It makes my day reading your comments. I appreciate your feed back, opinons, and love.
Thank you for reading this crazy, clustered, random little blog of mine.